Thursday, May 20, 2010

Karen Elson - The Ghost Who Walks

... yet another of Jack White's shadow puppets?

Karen Elson, probably better known from the glossy mags and on the catwalk, will have her first album The Ghost Who Walks released in Germany May 28. Luckily her husband is a well known producer and artist, who runs his own label, otherwise she might have had more sticks and stones thrown between her feet.

Don't get me wrong, I really like her voice and I'm not usually a fan of female singer/songwriters. I wouldn't publish this post if I didn't like her songs. The title track pretty wowed me and made me listen up:



However, I can clearly see the Jack White influence there. There's no denying all the parallels to Detroit band Blanche, friends of Jack White with Jack Laurence on banjo and bass. Guess who is on tour with her right now? Half of The Raconteurs and it's neither Brandon nor Patrick...

Puppet or no puppet, you decide. I just hope there is more Karen Elson on that album than it looks like so that people start giving her most of the credit.
She'll be playing a showcase at the Privat Club this Sunday. I'd go if I hadn't have other plans.




Share/Bookmark

0 Kommentare:

Post a Comment